This salsa is deceptively easy. It packs a punch of flavor that will make you weak in the knees.
- 2-3 Fresh tomatoes
- I 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 large piece of roasted red bell pepper
- 2 stalks of green onion
- 2 tsp chipotle seasoning (I love Spice Islands version with the grinder!)
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- Place ingredients in food processor and blend.
*Courtesy of the Malmin Family.
Summer Roll Ingredients
- 4 ounces dried cellophane noodles (aka “bean threads”)
- 1 package of plain tofu steak (or extra firm tofu), cut into slivers
- Twelve 8 1/2-inch rice paper wrappers
- 8 romaine lettuce leaves, torn and/or fresh baby spinach
- 1 bunch of mint leaves pulled off the stem
- 1 bunch of cilantro leaves pulled off the stem
- 1 bunch of basil leaves pulled off the stem
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 bag of bean sprouts
- 1-2 sliced avocados
Dipping Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos (or shoyu/soy sauce)
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a medium bowl, cover the cellophane noodles with hot water and let stand until soft, 30 minutes. Drain and cover with a damp paper towel until ready to use.
- Put a frying pan on medium-high heat and put enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Place enough tofu in the frying pan to cover the bottom and let the tofu evenly fry, turning about every minute. After all the tofu is fried place in the refrigerator to cool down until you’re ready to wrap the summer rolls up.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir the liquid aminos with the rice vinegar, water, honey, garlic, ginger, sesame seeds, onion, and sesame oil.
- Soak 2 wrappers in hot water (one on top of the other) until pliable. Lay the wrapper on a flat surface and blot dry. Arrange enough spinach or lettuce on the bottom third of the wrapper. Top with some of the cellophane noodles, tofu, mint, cilantro, bean sprouts, and avocado. Roll up the wrapper, tucking in the ends as you roll. Cover with a damp paper towel. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and fillings. Serve with dipping sauce and enjoy.